[58 sec read]
- This Ted talk by Simon Sinek shows the characteristics of a good leader who makes his subordinates confident and safe in their jobs.
- Leadership is a choice, but not a rank. Leaders sacrifice for their employees. For example, selfless sacrifice of Captain Swenson during an Afghan battle front in 2009 where he saved other wounded soldiers putting himself at risk.
- Leaders make you feel safe. We evolved into social animals, where we lived together and worked together in what I call a circle of safety, inside the tribe, where we felt like we belonged. I can fall asleep at night and trust that someone from within my tribe will watch for danger. The same applies for corporations.
- The closest analogy for a leader I can give to what a great leader is, is like being a parent. We want to give our child opportunities, education, discipline them when necessary, all so that they can grow up and achieve more than we could for ourselves.
- Leaders go first and eat last. They want to make sure that you get your requirements met first and also they would take risk before anyone else.